Julie Reid:
I know its tradition to have the reunion at the school, but lets remember that we have been out of that school for 10 years now... thats 10 years that we've been free of following archaic/old traditions. Perhaps its time to break the mould. Its our reunion and I think we can have it where ever we want, we don't neccessarily need to subscribe to tradition. I'm not saying I don't want to have it at the school, I'm saying we shouldn't feel obliged to have it at the school if we don't want to. I don't know what anyone else thinks? The floor is open for discussion!
Candice, I live in Pretoria but if there is anything I can do to help you, please pop me a mail!
Candice van Niekerk (Hingley):
If anyone has any suggestions for venues, and what type of reunion we are wanting to have ( Aimee said please no old ladies tea party ). Please forward. Thanks Candice
Mandisa Mbali:
I guess the school is at least central and also everyone knows where it is.On the other hand, I went back to give the keynote address at prize-giving in2005, which I enjoyed overall in a professional kind of way, but I didn'treally find it relaxing, and I found it kind of formal and institutionalfeeling (ie. it felt like I was back at school).Durban has great weather, what about doing something affordable and outdoors-y-A bring and share braai for instance.Or we could look at booking out an affordable restaurant and going with a setmenu.These are just my two cents on the issue, which those more central inorganising the event can take or leave. If I'm in the country then, I'llattend either way.
Eleri Morgan (Ashdown):
A 'Bring-and-Braai' sounds brilliant! (Can even be done on the schoolfield if allowed? (There is ample space, parking and facilities etc.)The husbands/partners can sort out the braai (so they won't feel leftout) and we can chat and catch up.And maybe the school will let us jump in the pool if it's a hot day :)
Bonny Dales (Maddams):
If everyone is keen to have it in Durban I suggest somewhere like Society inFlorida rd, we can book out the top floor, they will do the snacks etc sonobody has to worry about catering. It is vibey and relaxed and Casablancais just down the road for people wanting to take full advantage of a nightout (like me for example).I think having it at DGHS poses a few problems:1. It means more work for volunteers (ie, catering, music, tables etc)2. We would have to be on our best behaviour (once again, I revert back tothe "night out" comment)The only thing is that if people wanted to make it more formal (ie. Speechesand the like) it would be hard to do it at Society (little on the noisyside). Personally I would prefer a relaxed reunion giving us girls thechance to catch up with no formal speeches etc.Other alternatives are to have it at a hotel / country club where they worryabout the catering, we would have to arrange everything else.It might be helpful it girls send in the maximum amount that they arewilling to pay in order to create a proper budget for this thing. It wouldalso give a good idea of numbers as well.Okay so that's my input.Over and out.
Chilo Deghaye:
I think Bonny's comments are valid. Although I'm sure everyone will be keen to lend a helping hand, preparing an event like this can be quite time consuming and it is sometimes better to 'outsource' certain activities (e.g. catering, music, drinks). In my experience, people spend so much time running around on the day that they miss out on the event entirely - and I would rather everyone enjoyed this together.

1 comment:
:( what about us poor souls who cant make it in september (cos my baby sister is getting married)... since i cant make it to SA then, what about this reunion in UK we spoke about...when would that be happening??
all your ideas sound great. i really wish i could come!
CAREN
Post a Comment